23 July 2008

Simple Country Blogger Watch, 23JULY08

The Simple Country Bishop seems to have made a remarkable recovery from his bout of unattention the other day after a microphone was waived under his nose. Really:

"Yesterday (Tuesday), I was scheduled to make an address at the University of Kent's Law School's Centre for the Study of the Law, Gender and Sexuality."

Which is interesting, since the Simple Country Bishop and his friends are always saying there are more important things for the Church to be doing than an obsession with sex. (I agree. And you'd have a bit more credibility in that department if you made an address at, say, the University of Kent's Fellowship of Christian Lawyers.)

And he wants to remind everybody that everybody still adores him:

"Almost invariably, though, I am stopped by each of the conference stewards -- mostly college-aged young people from England and around the Communion, who want to shake my hand and tell me of their support. These young people are so interested in the Church, so committed to being here and helping in any way, yet mystified by some of the words and behaviors they witness, all in the name of the Church. They want me to know how much they are praying for me. The fellow behind the cafe counter in the Marketplace insists that I accept a cappuchino he has made for me, a free gift he insists."

Wow. "Cappucinos" for free. (Doesn't really reinforce that oppressed-never-get-nice-things meme. Just saying.) But enough about him. He's got a big evening ahead, selflessly helping his friends show the uppity, demonic wogs conservatives why they should shut up and do as they are told let The Simple Country Bishop into their party like nothing happened:

"It is the first of two Wednesday evenings in which some American bishops will sponsor a Fringe Event (officially sanctioned, not as part of the conference, but as a Fringe Event), for bishops and spouses of the Communion to come and meet their brother bishop Gene. After four bishops describe the process that led to my election and consent, and testimony, one from a bishop who voted for my consent and one who voted against consent, about my warm welcome into our House of Bishops by virtually all members of our House, even and especially those who voted "no." They will bear witness, I hope, to how the Episcopal Church is forging a model for ministry together, despite our differences. Something the Anglican Communion might want to learn from."

"Then I will be introduced -- not by a bishop, but by the people of New Hampshire who elected me. A DVD presentation will include voices of clergy and laity from New Hampshire introducing me and reflecting on our ministry together. I am so proud of that."


Introduced by DVD. What? No Blu-Ray??

Here are today's post stats for the Simple Country Bishop drinking game. For those still doing a sip for each first-person personal pronoun, call AA and EMS before you start. After today, you're gonna need 'em. But to be fair, there are more than the usual number of Holy Names today to deduct from the shot count.

I: 33
We: 6
Me: 24
Mine: 1

Total count: 64

God: 11
Lord: 0
Jesus: 0
Christ: 4

Total count: 15

No comments: