19 December 2008

'Anonymous' Proves My Point.

Last week, I put up this open letter to Bishop Charles Robinson, in response to his comments about the disputes in The Episcopal Church(tm). My post was not hostile, shrill or impolite, nor did it engage in invective or ad homonym attacks. My questions were specific. I was, if you will, "inviting him into a deeper conversation." (Did I actually expect him to answer? Well no, not really. I'm a nobody to him; I just wanted my two cents in this "dialogue.")

But one "Anonymous," who apparently hails from New Orleans (one can learn all sorts of things from an IP address... - ed.) thought it necessary to post a comment. And suffice it so say that "Anonymous" doesn't seem to do that "living in tension" thing at all well:
Yes, of COURSE there's room Mr. Ranting idiot, BUT not much for the intolerant like yourself. You seem stuck in the Dark Ages with your questions. Grow up and into the 21st Century.....I double-dog dare you. I not only think Robertson's statement was elegant, I'm quite sure he was doing his job. The Episcopal Church - and many others for that matter reflect the greater society on this earth which is changing. This church is progressive, yet in a conservative way, I LOVE it. Good luck getting any comments on "your side" of narrowmindedness....
Thank you, "Anonymous," for that reasoned, learned, and loving example of Episcopal tolerance. I should want to stay in communion because...?

4 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

I missed the original comment, but it illustrates one common failing of most "inclusive" movements. In practice, they are "inclusive except for..."

Perpetua said...

Hi Clifford,
Matthew tagged me and now I am tagging you.

Perpetua said...

Oooops, I see Matthew already tagged you too!

Undergroundpewster said...

"Good luck getting any comments on 'your side' of narrowmindedness...."

You must be incredibly lucky, because there are plenty of us out there on your side.

Your Anonymous sounds as progressive, tolerant, and inclusive as mine.