13 December 2008

An Open Letter To The Rev. Charles Robertson.

Dear Rev. Robertson:

In this recent Richmond Times-Dispatch article, you said, "there is room within The Episcopal Church for people with different views and we regret that some have felt the need to depart from the diversity of our common life in Christ."

Therefore, sir, I ask you the following concerning that diversity:
Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that Scripture is the revealed Word of God and that we should live according to His Word?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that Jesus Christ willingly suffered and died for our sins, and was actually raised from the dead?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that the Creeds are still a sufficient and relevant statement of Faith, to be thoroughly believed, and to deny them is to deny the Faith?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that The Great Commission calls us to bring the Good News of Jesus Christ to others, and we should not be ashamed or hesitant to share it with them?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that the Sacrament of the Lord's Supper is the property of those who have accepted Christ, and none other?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that John Spong's writings are heretical, nihilistic pop-theology?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that the Millennium Development Goals are a trendy, feel-good distraction, and have no bearing on our Faith?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that homosexual practice, and heterosexual practice outside of marriage, are incompatible with Scripture and therefore a sin?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that lifestyles incompatible with Scripture and sinful make one ineligible for ordination?

Is there room in The Episcopal Church for someone who believes that the ordination of women is an innovation at odds with Church tradition?
Your prompt and unequivocating answers would be greatly appreciated.

Hattip: Christopher Johnson at The Midwest Conservative Journal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, of COURSE there's room Mr. Ranting idiot, BUT not much for the intolerant like yourself. You seem stuck in the Dark Ages with your questions. Grow up and into the 21st Century.....I double-dog dare you. I not only think Robertson's statement was elegant, I'm quite sure he was doing his job. The Episcopal Church - and many others for that matter reflect the greater society on this earth which is changing. This church is progressive, yet in a conservative way, I LOVE it. Good luck getting any comments on "your side" of narrowmindedness....
: )
Ciao

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a reply from this letter? What WAS the answer to these questions???

Is there room for someone in the Episcopal Church that reads the Bible and does not fly into a temper tantrum and insist that God is a bigot unwilling to roll with the times. TEC is blasphemous. Be IN the world NOT of it!!

I agree with everything you said, with the exception of women being ordained. It's not my preference but I can live with it. I have been fed by women too. I'm not intolerant. I just want my leaders to recognize sin as sin and repent of it. It's no harder for them than it is for me.

I see more intolerance from the left than I do from conservative churches. (In most cases) I go to one every week and ALL ARE welcome, unlike what some would like you to believe. Having a sinner sitting in a pew next to me is no different than their experience with me. I do my best to recognize and repent. If I mess this up I would rather face my maker and say I got it wrong but I did my best to follow Your word. I wouldn't want to have to explain having the manual right in front of me and choosing not to follow it. God couldn't have made it any easier for us. HE GAVE US THE WORD!

God have mercy on us... we still get it wrong at times. I pray for an enlightened heart.