01 June 2007

Michael Graves and Humana

Michael Graves, one of the form-givers of 80's post-modernism, was honored at the 25th anniversary of his Humana Building. This was THE COOL BUILDING when I was in school, but 25 years on and it looks somewhat dated. I still love it's funky playfulness - something Graves' designs are known for.

I am glad to see Graves getting some recognition these days. He deserves it. He did his part to slay the dragon of pious modernism, which was a good thing in my opinion, and he did something that I think is even more important - he brought design to the masses. To the howls of many of his peers, Graves hooked up with Target to design everything from tea kettles to dog bowls, and helped reintroduce aesthetic thinking back into daily life. For that alone he should be honored.