30 June 2011
Secede From The Union(s)
I found this over at Powerline, and all I can say is "Wow. Just wow!!"
A few salient points to note:
1) Labor unions and teachers' unions are separate entries. When speaking of special interests, they are the 800 lb., or should I say the half BILLION dollar gorilla in the room.
2) Big Oil? What Big Oil? Oil industry donations are only two spots above beer. Oil industry donations are smaller to Republicans are smaller than lawyers' donations to Democrats. Maybe we should start talking about Big Law.
3) Forget about the "Military Industrial Complex" that's been the boogeyman for nearly a hundred years. Defense donations are almost equal in favor of the parties, and they're literally dwarfed by donations to Democrats from teacher's unions. Maybe the "Education Government Complex" is a much bigger issue. Hell, all of defense gives less that Microsoft by itself. And less than President Obama's friends at GE, who paid NO taxes last year.
Hell, defense donations are positively puny compared to those from the accounting industry. It seems the pen IS mightier than the sword.
4) On a good note, the Beer industry ranks a lot higher than I would have thought. Mmmmm. Beer. Please send some.
(Note from the Management: The Grey Man is making a shameless pitch for free beer. While he is free to do so, it is not necessary. If you choose not to send him any, feel free to drink amongst yourselves.)
5) I haven't done the math, but I suspect that total union donations are far larger than donations from all of the other "special interests" combined. Maybe we should call them "not-so-special" interests. The unions are really the only one that counts.
Please remember this information the next time some Kos kid starts railing about the Koch brothers/Halliburton/Blackwater/latest conspiracy theory. Download the jpg to your phone to show them. I have.