17 July 2008

If You Want It, Here It Is...... You Can Have It.

Let's take a break from the ongoing efforts by Anglican Bishops to put a wall of separation between Church and Christian Faith, and dive right into another kind of hell - the 1970's.

Ontario Emperor put up this post about the early 70's British group Badfinger, and how musically the decade went from that, to "later in the decade, smiling teens would sing "No future for you."

Which is pretty much the track I followed (I graduated high school in 1977). Ontario Emperor actually liked the 70's. I did not. Well, not all of it. Musically, I liked groups like Badfinger (they did the opening music for the Magic Christian), Led Zeppelin, The Who, and other late 60's, early 70's groups. And I liked the late 70's, early 80's groups like the Sex Pistols, Ramones, Blondie, The Police, and The Talking Heads. (And anything by Pink Floyd.) But it was the stuff in between that sucked. And sucked bad.

I was thinking about posting YouTube vids of the worst songs from that time, but I realized that there are just too many. And all that lyrical awfulness at once may cause serious bodily injury. So I plan to make this a feature, and show maybe one or two a week. But show them I must. It is clear that we as a nation have forgotten the 70's - why else would we have the very real possibility of electing Jimmy Carter II in November? So, dear readers, this is for your own good.

First up is a real classic. Mama Mia! be damned - ABBA practically set the standard for awful 70's music. Really:



And another. No wonder people turned to drugs back then:



It wasn't all master-race looking Swedes. Here's some home-grown awfulness:



All I can say is, thank God for David Byrne.

UPDATE 18July08: Matthew has posted a response and included this 70's uber-barker. Actually, 'Wildfire' was not the capper to my argument - far from it. I considered the song Matthew posted, but thought I'd start at a lower level of bad and work my way up. (Sorry. "down.") Bad 70's music is what we used to call in the service a "target rich environment."

No comments: