25 July 2008

Simple Country Bishop Watch, 25JULY08.

Gosh, it's a long one today! (So those (still) playing the Simple Country Bishop drinking game better call the EMT's extra early.)

On Wednesday night, the Simple Country Bishop attended a "fringe" gathering about, you guessed it, the Simple Country Bishop:

"After a presentation by some of our bishops about the polity and practice of electing bishops in our Province, and an introduction of me (via DVD) by laity and clergy of New Hampshire, I spoke. I told them that the one goal I had was that they might recognize the God I know and witness to in my life as the same God they know in their lives. I believe that happened."

No one ever said we know a different God. But that God has a few rules, sir; rules you believe you can toss off whenever you like. That's the issue here. But I digress:

"Since arriving in Canterbury, I had not yet visited the Cathedral. I went nowhere near the place on Sunday's opening service. The ever-anxious leadership had provided the Cathedral security guards with a large photo of me, posted at the security checkpoints, presumably to keep me from "crashing the gates" of the opening service. No one believed that I would be true to my promise to the Archbishop not to attend."

And some other North Americans promised in 2003 not to do anything that would tear up the Communion, (and in 2006 promised not to do it again....sort of) and you know where that went. So one can understand if assurances from a US ceric are not taken at face value around there.

But our Simple Country Bishop seized his (photo) opportunity to visit the Cathedral while everyone was in London for a bit of a walk and elevenses with the Queen:

"On Thursday, knowing that the conference attendees would leave early in the morning for London -- for the MDG walk, lunch at Lambeth Palace, and tea with the Queen -- it seemed like a good, low-profile time to make my own pilgrimage to our Mother Church. I told no one of my intentions to attend -- except I had my security person follow the properly courteous protocol of alerting the Cathedral to my visit. I had him also seek permission for a videographer to accompany me on my visit for a documentary to be released sometime in 2010. We were informed that the videographer could NOT accompany me or film me inside the Cathedral. Fair enough. We were told that he could accompany me to the gate onto the Cathedral grounds, and, standing in the public street, could at least film me walking into the Cathedral through the gate's archway."

Again, I think is fair to ask who is the focus here? Jesus Christ and His Church? Or, The Simple Country Bishop and his agenda? How many other Bishops are at Lambeth with a security detail and a film crew? How "low profile" is that?? And the documentary to be released sometime in 2010 will be about what, exactly? Bringing the message of the Gospel to the world? Or more travails of being a Simple Country Bishop?

But getting that photo op is very important to the Simple Country Bishop, so I think we have the answer to our earlier questions:

"We contacted Cathedral security to let them know of our imminent arrival, as had been requested. When we got there, we were met by a gentleman, representing the Dean and Chapter of the Cathedral, I think. He intercepted me and told me that I could not be filmed walking into the Cathedral (even from the public street outside) after all. The reason he gave took me by surprise, rendering me speechless (an uncommon experience for me!). "We can't have any photographs or film of you entering the Cathedral," he said, "because we want this to be a church for ALL people." Presumably he meant that my being seen walking into the Cathedral would cause others not to want to come."

No, sir, I think what he meant is that he didn't want hallowed ground co-opted for partisan political purposes. And I agree.

After a trip to London to (what else) be the focus of another event (to be fair, a worthy cause), the Simple Country Bishop is going to get all Dick Chaney for the weekend:

"I am now in an undisclosed location, taking the weekend to rest and relax. I'm going to not think about the Church for a few days. I might even take in the latest Batman movie, just to turn my brain off and escape for a little while. A little sabbath time is what I need. I've scouted out a place to worship on Sunday and will meet friends for dinner."

Have a good weekend, sir.

And for everyone's weekend entertainment, here are the Simple Country Bishop drinking game stats. Let's try moderation, people. Play this one over a few days:

I: 46
We: 14
Me: 24
Mine: 0

Total count: 84

God: 9
Lord: 2
Jesus: 0
Christ: o

Total count: 11

UPDATE 27JULY08: Anglican Curmudgeon has more. Read it all.

3 comments:

Ontario Emperor said...

I have to admit, however, that "We can't have any photographs or film of you entering the Cathedral, because we want this to be a church for ALL people" is the most oxymoronic phrase I've heard in a while. Now if you'll excuse me, there's a bug crawling around on my laptop screen (right above the words "Annoying, isn't it?").

.....CLIFFORD said...

I strongly suspect that quote is not exactly literal. The good Bishop seems to see everything in terms of himself and his victimhood, and only seems to hear what he wants to hear in that light.

I do wish he was as he likes to tell people - simply doing his job focused on Christ with his sexuality as incidental. But his actions say otherwise - he seems focused on his sexuality and it's acceptance everywhere, with his Faith a vehicle to that end. Were his actions to match his words, I think he would meet far, far less resistance.

A. S. Haley said...

Good post, Clifford. I've had some fun with it, too. For an explanation of the Dean's words, see this post.