01 October 2009

And The Pointy Hat Goes To...

Nominees for the next Episcopal Bishop of Louisiana have been announced:

The Rev’d Kurt Dunkle
Rector, Grace Episcopal Church,
Jacksonville, Florida

The Rev’d Paul A. Elliott
Rector, St. Michael & All Angels Church,
Stone Mountain, Georgia

The Rev’d Paul A. Johnson
Rector, Christ Episcopal Church,
Glen Allen, Virginia

The Rev’d Ken Ritter
Rector, Trinity Episcopal Church,
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The Rt. Rev’d Michael G. Smith
Bishop, Diocese of North Dakota
Fargo, North Dakota

The Very Rev’d Morris Thompson
Dean, Christ Church Cathedral
Lexington, Kentucky

Bio links above from here.

Two notes:

First, I'm greatly relieved no one was nominated who demands the "Mother" honorific.

Second, I've met Ken Ritter a number of times (I used to do EFM at Trinity), have heard him preach, and I like him. Bishop Smith preached at our church (Saint Luke's, Baton Rouge) just two weeks ago, and he appears to be a pretty orthodox fellow. I'd be happy with either, but I want to look at all the bios, and do some prayin' first, before I settle on a favorite.

UPDATE: Quickly read over the bios. Not surprisingly, it's mostly fluffy yadda-yadda - especially in the responses to this question set: What are the three most significant issues facing the Episcopal Church today? How do you see your leadership as it pertains to these issues?

UPDATE: A quick "hello" to the folks from Saint Augustine's, Metairie, who stopped by this morning. Please tell Myra and Tammy that Clifford sends his best.

UPDATE: I read the bios more thoroughly. Smith and Ritter still my favorites, in that order. I think after reading his bio and seeing who put him in nomination, Dunkle may be the Left's choice.

2 comments:

mousestalker said...

So what does the betting line look like? I know you think the big battle is between Smith+ and +Ritter, but who is a likely dark horse candidate?

.....CLIFFORD said...

Good question. My bet is to see who the large Left/Liberal minority in the Diocese of is backing, and who they are willing to accept. I expect the Left/Liberals to make a hard push for someone who will favor their political agenda.

The Diocese of Louisiana has normally chosen from within their ranks for a Bishop, but this time may likely be different. Only one of the six - Ken Ritter - is currently in Louisiana (though Smith is "sort of" here, in his capacity in assisting Jenkins post-Katrina). With national politics what it is, I think the local connection will matter little.

My best hope is we get Smith (orthodox) or Ritter (mostly orthodox), but I think the bet should be placed on a "moderate" - i.e. talks orthodox, acts Left - who will "grow" (lean more and more Left) during his tenure. I also think a "moderate" is all that Schori will approve, and will give her a fig leaf for her spin about trying to keep the orthodox "at the table."

There are a lot of folks in Diocese of Louisiana who are not happy with the current state of things (I know in one smaller parishes there is already talk of leaving TEC), so who is selected is critical to the futre of this Diocese.