26 October 2009

Latimer's Fire.

Well, I'm back from my annual retreat and, as always, it was a wonderful, moving time on the banks of the Mississippi.

As with most people, I always find the toughest thing about listening to God is the shutting-up part. More often than not, He can't get a Word in edge-wise. But when one spends three days in silence, focused on Him, you find out God has rather a lot to say. Now, I'm not talking about some grand prophetic revelation here, but whispers in the wind you can hear if you really, really, listen.

So, what did He say? Most of my prayers this weekend focused on guidance about what is happening in The Episcopal Church (tm), the Anglican Communion, and the recent announcement by the Pope creating a structure for Anglicans to return to Rome. (Somewhat fitting, since I was at a Jesuit retreat house...) And on that subject He said, this: "Wait. And fight." Yes, there is an exit. Several, actually. And yes, if you leave the burning building now you may save yourself. But if the the building can still be saved, isn't it worth trying to save it? And what of those still stuck inside? Many don't even know the building is on fire. Many others are convinced the fire won't reach them, think it's a false alarm, or buy into management's story that it's just someone down the hall having a BBQ.

So stay and fight, I shall. A lot more than I have been. It's time to fight fire with Fire.