21 September 2007

Muscle Only A Decal Deep.

A little something off-track for a Friday evening.

Like many people who lived through it, I've tried hard to mostly forget the 1970's. Watergate, pet rocks, disco, leisure suits, Farrah, my high school years. But today Glenn Reynolds dragged it all back with a post about this car. Thanks, Glenn. I'm sending you my therapy bill. At least he didn't mention another 70's beauty by the same manufacturer.

This is what we were reduced to in Jimmy Carter's America - a sedan with nice wheels and some "sport" decals. I don't know what's worse - that America would actually produce a car like that, or that there are currently enthusiasts for the car. Your call.

I dated a girl in high school who had a yellow 1973 Pontiac Firebird with one of those pre-energy crisis engines that could do 120mph and got 2 miles-per-gallon. I don't know which I missed most when we quit dating - her, or that car. Sounds like a darn Springsteen song, huh?

No comments: