03 September 2007

Week Two: 'Opus' Held Hostage.

If you were reading last week you may remember this post about the Washington Post, self-appointed defender of the First Amendment, getting uber-sensitive about fundamentalist religious values and pulling several Sunday 'Opus' cartoons in response. I'll let you guess which religion's fundamentalist strain was at issue here. (Hint: they gladly ran the 'Opus' strip two weeks ago which took a shot at fundamentalist Christian values....)

Because we here at RED STICK RANT believe in the First Amendment, and because we have a soft spot for pudgy, flightless waterfowl, here is the second of the pulled 'Opus' cartoons. We'll let you be the judge.

UPDATE: My local paper, the Baton Rouge Sunday Advocate, ran the strip.

UPDATE: To the nice person at the US Department of State in Washington who found this site this morning (9.4.07) while looking for Opus-related posts during work hours: Would you ask Condi if she could come down and speak with my daughter's 8th-grade history class sometime. Condi is a real hero to her. It would be a real treat. Thanks.

4 comments:

The Grey Man said...

Correct me If I'm wrong, but didn't the President just go see Al Asad Airbase today, just a bit up the road from Ramadi? AQI's self declared capitol, which we now firmly control? And is safe enough for a president to visit?

When you control the enemy's capitol, and can piss in his morning corn flakes at will, doesn't that mean it's just about lights out time? See Richmond, Berlin, Carthage, Rome, etc.

Somehow, being afraid of these jokers now is a bit like fearing a Japanese invasion of California on Aug 10, 1945.

Either that or I'm just trying to run up your hit counter to make you look good. Grins.

.....CLIFFORD said...

Both. I hope.

What? No comments on the HK-91 I posted about earlier? I'm shocked! Shocked!

The Grey Man said...

Weapons choices, with all the possible permutations of mods, are far more personal than almost anything else, including sex toys. To each his own.

A 91 is rugged, accurate, and powerful, but a bit heavier and more cumbersome than I'd like to carry in a crisis.

Personally, I'd love to see an M1 carbine in 6.8. Light, fast, and damned potent, reliable with good mags. And if the military would adopt it so I can scrounge for my needs in a crisis, I'd probably have an affair with one.

Now if I can just get Natik on the phone.......

.....CLIFFORD said...

I see.

That explains you getting that rail-mounted handgrip/vibrator/bipod/laser-designator/iPod thingy for your "Katrina Kannon".......