22 September 2009

To Beck, Or Not To Beck.

Instapundit points out this PJM article about the debate within the conservative movement over commentator/author/pundit Glenn Beck. Well worth your time to read - including a link to the discussion by David Horowitz and David Frum about Beck.

I've never been a big fan of Glenn Beck - I think him too bombastic (without the flair of Rush Limbaugh), shrill, and his delivery turns me off. But, that's me. On the other hand he does support - and brings attention to - conservative values and causes, and I find myself in agreement with most all of his conclusions. Plus, Beck has been quite effective of late in advancing conservative issues, much more than our "leaders" in the GOP.

Should Beck be declared outside of mainstream conservatism because he is shrill and over-the-top at times? Before I would have said, yes; but not anymore. And for this reason: When Abraham Lincoln was pressured to sack Ulysses S. Grant because of high casualties (coupled with charges of alcoholism), Lincoln refused, saying "I can't spare this man - he fights."

And that's why we can't spare Beck: He fights. And, he wins. How many ACORNS have you helped bring down, Senator McConnell? (Senator WHO?? Exactly the point. -ed.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have felt, and still feel, exactly the same way about David Virtue.
Ericfromnewyork

.....CLIFFORD said...

Ericfromnewyork:

I agree.