14 January 2010

Living In His Own Private Newt.

Newt Gingrich, a man who I greatly admired in my 20's and 30's, a man who could have been the American Churchill if he'd kept it in his pants, has become a parody of himself.

Please, sir, sit down. Dispense your sage advice (yes, it still matters to us), talk about your kids on Twitter, and enjoy retirement with dignity. You had your time. This is not 1988. Or 2009. (*cough* NY-23 *cough*) 2010 will look like 1994 not because of you, but because of folks like me, a lady named Jen, a guy named Dwight, and the hundreds of thousands of others out there busy creating our own Window of Opportunity.

UPDATE: Not that I'd be opposed to an updated Contract with America for 2010.

1 comment:

Kelso said...

Sir: Back when I was a Republican (I stayed in the party until Ronaldus Magnus died, as a gesture of respect), Newt was my representative in congress. I went to one of his local town hall meetings - and he was sooo arrogant and sooo condescending to his constituency that I promptly voted against him in the election - and me a conservative Republican! He's a smart guy - but his moral gyroscope just isn't calibrated right.