08 June 2008

Boston Part II - The Coolest iPhone Trick In The World, or Desperation Is The Mother Of Invention.

What with the new iPhone 2.0 phone and software set for release tomorrow, this seems like a pretty good time for my favorite save-your-ass iPhone story.

When were flying back the other week, I forgot to print my boarding pass at the hotel before we went to Logan Airport. So when we got to the terminal, instead of scanning my boarding pass at electronic check-in and heading on in, I was going to have to wait in a looong line. The wife was not at all pleased (she had printed hers earlier...). So with some sense of desperation, I opened the airline e-mail on my iPhone to the PDF boarding pass, looking for any number or code I could enter in the electronic check-in to save me from the long line. I found none.

Damn. But there was a bar-code on the PDF. Hmmm. I enlarged it to see if there was a code on it that I could enter - but again, nothing.

This is where the desperation part comes in, and what possessed me to do this I do not know - I stuck the iPhone, with the enlarged bar-code on the screen, under the electronic check-in scanner and......

...."Welcome Clifford!" said the electronic check-in screen, "Would you like to....." and it gave me a list of options - the last one was "Print another copy of your boarding pass."

The scanner read the bar-code from the iPhone screen.

Why yes! Yes I would like to print another copy of my boarding pass! I was saved. I got my boarding pass, went through security, and we were on our way.

So ask yourself - could you do that with your trendy RAZR? Or your size-of a-hamburger-bun Blackberry?? I didn't think so.

No comments: