29 April 2008

Louisiana 2005

We saw Randy Newman in concert last night in Lafayette, Louisiana. It was a small venue - a lot smaller than when he plays New Orleans' Jazz Fest this coming Thursday - just Randy and a piano. And yes, he played 'Rednecks.'

But the last song he played was 'Louisiana 1927,' about the famous Mississippi River flood. Strange as it may seem, I had not thought of that song at all post-Katrina (my Katrina song was Grateful Dead's 'Touch of Grey'), and to hear it again, now, was quite moving. Here it is, from a performance in 2006:

1 comment:

Ontario Emperor said...

The first time I ever heard of Randy Newman was when he appeared on Saturday Night Live's Mardi Gras show. Then he had his big hit with "Short People," and everyone knew him. Not. (Excuse me while I look for a couple of Randy Newman songs on last.fm.)