04 April 2008

Time For A New Change.

Tomorrow is the primary here in Louisiana's 6th Congressional District. I make no bones about my support for Laurinda Calongne, who is vying for the GOP nomination against long-time local politician, Woody Jenkins. Jenkins is, I think a weak candidate for the GOP - he has too much negative baggage (e.g. David Duke connections), and he has never seemed to translate his social conservatism outside of his old state house district. The Democrats see his victory tomorrow as an opportunity to add another 'D' in Congress. This article at nola.com says pretty much the same thing.

For me, Woody's time has past. And in the article Woody's own words seem to prove my point:

"If you compare Bobby Jindal's philosophy and mine, I think you'd see it's very similar," Jenkins said, likening himself to Louisiana's new Republican governor."

But there is a huge difference, and it is this - when Woody Jenkins entered the State Legislature in 1972 on this agenda, Bobby Jindal was one year old. But Bobby Jindal, in less than 10 years in public service, has done more to advance and strengthen the conservative agenda, in real terms, than Woody Jenkins has done in 36 years. And I think Jenkins knows it. Why else would he be trying to ride Jindal's popularity coattails?

Laurinda is only a few years older than Bobby Jindal, and has the same conservative values, outlook, energy and "get-r-done" attitude as our new governor. That is what we need in Congress. And that is why I am supporting her.

No comments: