09 January 2008

House Of Tomorrow Today's Idea Of Tomorrow.

Glenn Reynolds links to this Amazon article about a "next-gen house" demo at the Consumer Electronics Show.

Before you get too wowed, remember that futurists are often spectacularly wrong about, well, the future. Got your video phone or your jet car yet? Compare this 1950's "kitchen of tomorrow" to your kitchen. Any resemblence? Didn't think so.

I know, I know, the "next-gen house" is dealing with convergence - the ability to control - not with the components themselves. Software versus hardware. I got all that. But do you really think Joe or Sally Homeowner want to program all that and keep up with all of the software integration and upgrades? They already have enough problems getting the damn VCR to stop flashing 12:00. What's next - Residential IT services?

Yeah, I'm a curmudgeon.

1 comment:

The Grey Man said...

Frankly, I don't read those "world of tomorrow" crap anymore. They've been letting me down for 40 years. When and if I ever get my JetPack I was promised back then, I'll read them, not before.

PS New blog up.