15 January 2008

Richard Baker Quits.

My Congressman, Republican Rep. Richard Baker, is resigning from the House to take a position with a money management trade association. His district covers Baton Rouge and the surrounding parishes.

Baker has been very interested in banking and finance issues, and is the ranking member of the House Financial Services Capital Markets Subcommittee. He is also on several other committees and sub-committees, including the Committee on Veterans' Affairs.

I imagine the wanna-be-congressmen are busy announcing as you read this. But the district is solidly GOP, so there is little chance the seat could change hands.

UPDATE: Geez Louise! Not 12 hours after Baker announces, and we get two (yes, two) computerized opinion poll calls at the house tonight. Though, since they asked pretty much the same questions, I think we got "double polled" (ouch!). They wanted to know my biggest issue nationally (Iraq, killing lots of terrorists), and who out of a field of three I could support: my current state representative, Hunter Greene (absolutely); Baton Rouge City Councilman David Boneno (outside chance, but probably not); or former state represetative and run-for-everything, Woody Jenkins (you've got to be eff'n kidding!! No!!! Hell, no!!!!).

2 comments:

The Grey Man said...

Big deal. My congressman left to become your governor.

.....CLIFFORD said...

For which I am grateful.