09 May 2008

Easter Island Sunday!

I saw this video this over at Chris Johnson's site - call it The Eucharist of the Giant Heads. If you want to know what +Kate and her buddies see as "doing a new thing" in The Episcopal Church (tm), this is an excellent example. Not quite Clown Communion level, but darn close:



Couple of observations:

1) If you want to worship Him Her To Whom It May Concern in that way, knock yourself out. It's a free country. But please do not insist that I must worship that way, or deem me less of a Christian because I do not.

2) If I was six and saw a bunch of monstrous, stony-faced Jesus Christ looking giants wandering round my church like enforcers, with huge hands that could crush me like a bug, I'd pee in my pants and become a Baptist on the spot.

3) The giant heads were amusing, in a creepy sort of way, but the middle-aged, Alvin Ailey wanna-be's were an absolute hoot! Particularly the sensing of the Gospel, which looked like something out of a bad Chinese Cultural Revolution ballet. It was hard to tell if I was watching a church service, or the intro to "A Tribute To People's Collective Factory No. 814 Who Raised Tractor Production 11 Percent By Following The Words Of The Great Helmsman!"

4) The crowd looked like they were not only alive when Woodstock happened, but were old enough to have attended. After the incense, I bet the predominant smell in that room was Ben-Gay (with patchouli coming in a close thrid). Aren't such hip, relevant services supposed to attract the modern young people? So where were they? (Hint: See Church, Mega, down the street, or see Home, TV, watching)

UPDATE: I'm told that this is not a "New Thing" Episcopal service, but actually the service of a group of "progressive" Catholics. "New Thing" Episcopalians. "Progressive" Catholics. A distinction with out much of a difference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have been correctly informed. I first saw this clip via Diogenes at CWN. These are the die-hards we didn't get from the Catholics, yet. Their weaker brethren are Episcopalians already. God help us cope when these liturgies come to you're parish. On second though, God help us period.

Jeff