06 May 2008

Surprise!!

My Anglican/Episcopalian readers will remember the Pope criticizing "so-called 'prophetic actions" in other Churches , and the Episcopal Bishop of New York Mark Sisk's response:

Asked whether he thought Benedict had singled out the Episcopal Church in his remarks, Sisk responded, "It's possible--but I would be rather surprised. I don't think he was trying to send shots across the bow at particular churches. I think he spoke in a respectful way and I didn't see that as a shot at the Episcopal Church."

Well, here is a followup and...

SURPRISE BISHOP SISK!!!!!!

That is EXACTLY who(m) our Roman friends were shooting at. And they didn't miss, either:

Speaking on the day that the Archbishop of Canterbury met Benedict XVI in Rome, Cardinal Walter Kasper, the president of the Pontifical Council of Christian Unity, said it was time for Anglicanism to "clarify its identity".

He told the Catholic Herald: "Ultimately, it is a question of the identity of the Anglican Church. Where does it belong?"


I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for an answer, Your Grace. I'm an Anglican, and I've been waiting for an answer to that question since 2003. Heck, since 1976.

Hattip: Chris Johnson.

UPDATE 07MAY08: Thanks for stopping by, Bishop.

No comments: