02 May 2008

Hold Your Nose And Vote.

Tomorrow is the General Election here to find a replacement for 6th District Congressman Richard Baker, who resigned several months ago. Baker is a Republican, and I believe this seat has been in GOP hands for at least 25 years, maybe 30.

That could change.

The current contenders are former GOP state representative Woody Jenkins, a slick, uber-social conservative; and current Democratic State Representative Don Cazayoux, a tepid, lightweight nice-guy. Not exactly stellar choices. (The candidate I supported, Laurinda Calongne, lost in the primary to Woody Jenkins.) I said after the primary election that this would turn nasty, and it has. The national parties and PACs have lit up the airwaves here with negative attacks in the past two weeks (go here and here for two examples. YouTube doesn't seem to have any of the DCCC ads posted, but they are equally as bad.) Not to mention the persistent pre-recorded telephone calls.

But the Democrats have a real chance here, IF they can turn out their base. Jenkins turns off a lot of folks with his hard (and I mean HARD!) right brand of conservatism. (Reagan conservative he ain't.). More than a few Republicans (me included) are likely to either vote third-party, vote for Cazayoux (the NRA gave him an 'A' rating, too), or stay home. Other GOP voters may think the race a forgone conclusion (it's a "Republican" district...) and not bother to vote. Both senarios favor Cazayoux.

And the sad thing is we have to do this all over again in November.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I got your comments, lol. And I promise, no super heroine stuff. Lakeview is... how should I put this? Uninhabited at the moment? And Reilley is only good for so many things, like eating and jumping on people.

In all fairness, though, I've got a healthy fear of guns and I'm pretty sure that's not leaving anytime soon. Growing up, you never lose that, it just gets reinforced.

I'm just hoping the CC on campus goes through. We don't need another Virginia Tech incident.