17 December 2008

The Messiah And The Martyr. (UPDATED)

Barack Obama has picked Rick Warren, the evangelical preacher who supported California's Prop 8 to ban gay marriage, to give the invocation at his Inauguration.

I'll wager somebody in New Hampshire has his mitre in a knot.

UPDATE 22DEC08: Seems I was right:
Bishop Robinson had been an early public endorser of Mr. Obama’s candidacy, and said he had helped serve as a liaison between the campaign and the gay community. He said he had called officials who work for Mr. Obama to share his dismay, and been told that Mr. Obama was trying to reach out to conservatives and give everybody a seat at the table.

“I’m all for Rick Warren being at the table,” Bishop Robinson said, “but we’re not talking about a discussion, we’re talking about putting someone up front and center at what will be the most watched inauguration in history, and asking his blessing on the nation. And the God that he’s praying to is not the God that I know.”
In other words, Rick can sit at the table; just STFU. As a personal aside, Bishop, I do not mind you being at the table, either. But we're not talking about a discussion, we're talking about someone (you) front and center demanding I must endorse a lifestyle contrary to Scripture. And the God you are praying to is not the God I know.

No comments: