23 December 2008

Remember This Day, Dear Readers...

...'Cause I don't think I'll ever say this again. New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin is right:
The mayor said the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which is supposed to reimburse the city for the cost of returning public facilities to their pre-disaster level of operation, has provided less than half of what the city thinks is due for work on the city-owned theater.

Such underpayment for recovery projects, which has fueled ire between city and federal officials for more than three years, remains rampant, and the federal agency doesn't seem to care, Nagin said.

"I had FEMA in my office yesterday and almost, kind of, threw them out," the mayor said. "They're just not aggressively helping us."

A FEMA official who attended that meeting, however, told a different story.
As one who has personally sat through more than a few FEMA meetings, I believe Nagin's version. When Ray Nagin and his operation are more credible, reliable, effective than you are, I'd say you have a problem. A big one.

No comments: