14 August 2009

Listening Like Crazy.

I've had an awful time of late, well, reading. Not comprehension, but finding the time to do it. By the time I hit the rack I'm either too tired or too wired to pick up a book. I started re-reading Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress about a month ago, and I'm currently on... page 48.

So Wednesday I decided to download an audiobook from iTunes and give that a try. I'm hooked. I downloaded P.J. O'Rourke's Driving Like Crazy, and I can't put it down turn it off. I've devoured six-plus chapters in just three commutes (plug the iPhone into the car's audio system), and plan to listen to several more tomorrow while cutting the lawn.

As for the tome itself, Driving Like Crazy is quintessential O'Rourke. It focuses a favorite passion of his, cars and motorbikes, and can be summed up by one of the chapter titles: "How to Drive Fast on Drugs While Getting Your Wing-Wang Squeezed and Not Spill Your Drink." P. J. O'Rourke is my kind of Republican.

Here's a recent ReasonTV interview with O'Rourke, where he talks about the book and recent goings on in the automotive industry. Well worth a watch.

2 comments:

cbullitt said...

The Heinlein book has some timely political insights, as McGoo and I have noted over at Aardvarks more than once. Hope you find the time to get through it.

.....CLIFFORD said...

It's timeliness was the reason I was trying to re-read it. My bad domestic time-management habits is the reason I have failed.