07 August 2007

Bishop Pope Leaves The Episcopal Church.

The theological cleansing continues. According to a post at the House of Bishops / Deputies Listserv, Bishop Clarence Pope, former Bishop of the Diocese of Fort Worth and currently Bishop-in-residence at my church, is leaving The Episcopal Church (tm) for the Roman Catholic Church.

When the Current Unpleasantness hits this close to home, it's time to reassess everything. I mean, I KNOW this man. I have not always agreed with him (e.g., women's ordination), but on the whole his leaving is a real loss for The Episcopal Church (tm) in general, and the traditionalists in particular. I bet that they're popping champagne this morning at 815 2nd Avenue, though.

UPDATE: It appears true. Though, as the post reminds us, this is not the first time Bishop Pope has "swum the Tiber."