11 August 2007

I'm Back. Twenty And Counting.

Just got back from a getaway with the wife. Our 20th anniversary was the other day, so I surprised her with a few days of sun, sand, and pampering (and no kids) at a resort on Alabama’s Gulf Shores. Very relaxing for us both. Funny thing we realized – of all our friends in high school and college, only four other couples we know of made it to 20 years still married. Maybe I was just naive – or typically male - but I never realized just how big a deal this is in our day and age. When we got married I just assumed it would happen. I mean, we did say “until death do us part…”, so I figured that if I was still breathing 20 years later we’d still be married. I did promise. Before God. So what’s the big deal?

A marriage making it this far today – and making it this far still wanting to be married to the same person - that’s what’s a big deal. I have no statistics on how many marriages last 20 years, but I figure that the number is quite small nowadays. Damn, I am blessed. Very, very blessed.